osx leopard bugs

Safe Sleep Snuffed

I’ve written before about my problems getting Safe Sleep / Deep Sleep to work on my MacBook Pro. More frustrating was I couldn’t seem to disable it fully: I could disable it temporarily, but as soon as my laptop used a different Energy Saver preference [which happened automatically when it was unplugged from the power supply], it would immediately re-enable Safe Sleep.

Turns out that this 10.4 tip on Mac OS X Hints works just fine on 10.5 as well. The secret, for me, seemed to be the second line, which doesn’t show up in all the explanations of how to disable it:

$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
$ sudo nvram “use-nvramrc?”=false

It’s been a couple of weeks since I configured things this way, and it hasn’t reset itself, so it’s working out nicely.

“Deep Sleep” on MacBook Pros with Leopard

Some months ago I posted about deep/safe sleep does not work on my MacBook Pro under 10.4.10. I finally got around to testing it on Leopard today, and surprise surprise, it “works” in an even lesser way than before; there’s no sign at all that it’s restoring from the saved image, and the only part of the computer that works is the power button.

This doesn’t actually bother me all that much, because I very rarely get into a situation where I run my battery all the way down, but I’m sure it bothers some people.

What really bothers me is my DVD-R stubbornly refusing to burn any dual layer DVDs, but it seems like only about 2.3 billion people have this problem, so Apple can’t be damned to fix it.

Fixed Wacky Leopard Bug #2, sorta

So, I think I fixed Wacky Leopard Bug #2, or, at least, the symptoms of it. The fix turned out to be simpler than I expected, as I simply had to reset the Keychain according to Apple’s instructions. Honestly, I’m not sure what this did or why the old keychain wouldn’t work, but in this situation, it’s not a big deal: there were few to no passwords saved on the computer. However, it is pretty strange to me that this situation happened during the bog-simple upgrade of the powerbook, which was running a virtually clean install of 10.4.10 before the upgrade.

Wacky Leopard Bug #2: Missing Keychain file after upgrade

I updated my old Powerbook [previously running Tiger] to Leopard yesterday. Simple upgrade: backed the entire drive up to the backup partition, dropped Leopard in, ran the Upgrade Mac OS X install, and walked away for an hour and a half while it chugged. It booted up fine, I installed the available software upgrades — Apple, do we really have to download all of iTunes and Quicktime every damned time? — and rebooted again.

Launched Safari, and was presented with a dialog that told me that there was no Keychain file. I told Keychain Access to verify my Keychain, and it told me that the file was missing the extension. Turns out that Safari was right, and there was no keychain file at all. I rooted around in the backup, copied the old Keychain over, and re-ran Keychain first aid; it repaired the keychain, and all seems well now.

Edit on Nov 12: I guess all isn’t fine; the laptop requires the keychain to be unlocked the first time Safari is launched, and creating a new keychain and deleting the old one didn’t seem to fix it. I’ve seen various solutions for this posted on the Apple forums and around the net, and I’ve yet to find one that fixes my exact problem, but I haven’t spent more than 15 minutes or so looking into it.

Wacky Leopard Bug #1: Duplicate Hard Drives in Finder

Several times an external [USB] hard drive has accidentally become disconnected without ejecting it [wheelychair + loose cord == oops], and both times I end up with two instances of my main hard drive in the Finder [but not on my desktop.] Both of them function just fine, but they don’t go away if you force quit Finder … they stick around until you reboot.

Edit: This seems to be related to the backup/restore method I use [post detailing that coming soon…] — I had a disk image with the same name as my primary hard drive mounted, and that seems to be the cause of the problem. Remounting the drive and the disk image generally fixed things, however the problem didn’t show up consistently.